Skip to main content

What I Think About Welcome To The Month Of and Welcome To The Year Of Things By The Christian Family

I honestly don't exactly know what to call this thing or statement that Church folks use on themselves, welcoming themselves into a new month or a new year. This thing that Church folks do use to baffle me.

Religious christians worshiping with a bible and hands lifted

There are a few things that Church folks do that baffle me and this happens to be one of them. It has now become a norm for Churches to have years of things and months of things, every year and every month. Just in case you didn’t know, now you know. 

Almost every Church must have a year of something and a month of something every year and every month.

For example, a church might have; The Year 2040: To be "The Year of Progress" and also, the month of let’s say February of that same year to be "The Month of Favour".

What always baffles me is seeing two fellow members of this same church, one saying to the other, welcome to the Month of Favour; in the case of the month or welcome to the Year of Progress; in the case of the year. I always use to ask the one saying the welcome if he or she entered the year or the month before the other person. 

I understand if the President or the General Overseer of a particular congregation welcomes his or her members into a new month or a new year but for fellow members to say that to one another is something I find difficult to get my head around. 

Welcome in this regard should mean a greeting of reception, given to someone who arrives or receiving somebody in a friendly way. When you walk with someone to a place that belongs to you solely or belongs to you more than it belongs to the person you walked with, you can tell the person is welcome.

Let's say, you walked with someone to your house, you have every right to turn to the person or just say to the person, welcome to my house because it’s your house and you are welcoming the person into your house but when you walked with someone to let’s say a wedding reception and you turn and say to the person you walked with, welcome to the wedding reception, it should sound absurd to you. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but it sounds absurd.

Likewise, it is absurd to say to a fellow member in any congregation, welcome to whichever year or month, because you weren’t in the year neither were you in the month before the person nor do you own the year or the month more than the person as the case may be. 

This is what I think; It is only the General Overseer or the President of the congregation that has that reserved authority and power to welcome anyone into any Month or any Year. If for no better reason, then it would be because he entered into the month or year in his mind before any other person in that congregation. He is the only one that can welcome any other person into the month he has already seen or entered in his mind and when he has welcomed everyone in, no other person should tell another person, welcome into whichever month or year, not even any of his senior Pastors. 

Others should just tell one another,

  1. Congratulations or thank God, we are in the month of … or in the year of …. Or, 
  2. Congratulations, we’ve entered into the month of … or the year of …. Or 
  3. Congratulation, we’ve been ushered into the month of … or the year of …. 

But saying welcome to one another sounds absurd to me. Well, it’s my opinion and I’m not even saying I’m right. What do I know? English is not even my language; I’m just trying to borrow the language.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman - Poem

By Costly Oma . 1. Unaware, she seems,  Fragile, yet able. Tender, she appears. Weak, yet strong. 2. Subtle with wit. Accommodating with guard. Loose with focus. Loving with vision. 3. Characterized by beauty. Categorized as an angel. Graced with curves, And strides with style. 4. Builder like a bird. Keeper like a hen. Lover like a dolphin. Carrier like a whale. 5. Protector like an eagle. Giver like a hose. Fighter like animal. Server like a servant. 6. Product like honey. Fierce, yet gentle. Comforts like a home. This is a woman. Related: >>> A Mother Poem . >>> A Father Poem .

NYSC SCHEME - Poem

By Costly Oma .  Written In 2013.  First Published: Feb. 2014. 1.  An idea was birthed,  And into action, it sprung. Since from Nineteen Seventy-Three, Youths have been shuffled. 2. With a call, we moved A call to serve, our best to render, A call to give, our best to offer. A call to keep one Nigeria 3. Under the sun, we matched. In the rain, no difference. When it’s bright and clear, And otherwise, we answer. 4. A call like no other, Beginning with a journey, Then living three weeks in exclusion, Learning new things in new style. 5. A call so anticipated, Becomes so tiring with time, Then feels it should be extended but boring, Yet memories linger. 6. With the hope of National unity, It was birthed.  I hope that its cause has not been tilted, For sacrifices have been made. 7. NYSC SCHEME, We hope that your aim we achieve, For your call we heard, And your rules we kept. #nyscpoem #nyscschemepoem #scheme #nysc #poems #nationalyouthservice #nationalyouthservicecorp ##nationalyouthservic

Time - Poem

TIME Speaking!!! 1. Trust me, I’m in your beginning, In-between. And in your end. 2. I’m a part you can’t do without. An entity of immeasurable worth. A unit of the highest value. A mystery in essence. 3. Your future, I determine Your goals, I monitor Your achievements All, wrapped up in me. 4. I’m terrible. I’m hostile. I’m always against you. But I am a friend. 5. The diligence blesses me. The froward curse me. What are you? I AM TIME. 6. Seek me early and In abundance, you shall find me Seek me late and In the scarcity of me, you shall wallow. 7. Feel you have me, Lost me, you’d just. Feel you lost me, In hast, you must be. 8. Yea, you wish, I know. That I could be friendlier. But this is who and what I am. Just time. Man Speaking!!! 9. Oh, time. A treasure, yet cruel. A blessing, yet a curse. In endless circles you are. 10. Fashioning every man’s destiny. From where did you spring? A limited counting you are, In regular intervals. 11. Regulating man’s every endeavour. Slow it is wh

Father - Poem

By Costly Oma . 1. A Father. A role you are given. A role you didn't ask for, Yet you accepted, And have learned to understand. 2. A Father. Like a purpose, You stay loyal to it's aim. Like a vision, You stay married to it's picture. 3. A Father. Characterized by strength, Categorized by direction. Geared to provide. Wired to protect. 4. A Father. You carry a burden, Burden unknown to your wife, Burden unknown to your children, Burden unknown to your family. 5. The strength of the home. The defense of the family.  You cry sometime, Oh, yes you do, But not in the open.  6. Children misconcepts you, Misconcepts your nature, Nature of care and provision, And ascribes everything to their mothers. Lost are we without a father.  7. I love you dad, I don't misconcept you, Thank you for your seamless, Seamless care and provision.  My Father. #costly #oma #costlyoma #costlyomapoems #costlyomablog #father #fatherpoem #poemaboutfather #poemaboutafather

The Reason

By Costly Oma . 1. Solace, I find in poetry. In poetry, relief, I find. Not without the pain. But the pain, it soothes. 2. In my darkest days, And in my darkest hours, A line of poetry, in my heart, The difference, make. 3. When I find myself lost, In all that I cannot explain, The courage to press, A poetry gives. 4. My first love, I cannot tell. The present, past, and future. I choose the now, For the morrow, I know not. 5. When the bridge is out, And the living, being choked away, But saddled with poetry, To hold and hold I may. 6. From the lines of Ann Taylor's My Mother. To the ancient scripts of Dangerous Beauty, I grief still, But a lift, in poetry I find.  Happy World Poetry Day.

My Death-Feelings So Far – Part 1

By Costly Oma . My Death Encounter Part - 1. ~~My Body Leaving My Body~~ Sometime in the first quarter of the year 2018, around 4 AM in the morning, while I was still in bed, I was woken up by a strong presence of what I can call death. I felt this chilled cold sweep past me, from the soul of my feet to the crown of my head. It was so dramatic as I feel like the cold was swallowing me, starting from the soul of my feet to the crown of my head. As I got completely engulfed by the cold, I woke up. I woke up and got down from the bed but I was still seeing myself lying on the bed. I stood up but it felt like I wasn’t the one standing as I was seeing another me lying in bed. I was obviously at this point confused as to what was happening as I am both standing and lying down at the same time. As I was yet to get my mind organised as to what was happening, I saw a thick dark cloud forming at the westside wall of the room. This thick dark cloud looks so dirty and it smells so bad. As this cl

My Life Experiences And Quotes

By Costly Oma . Life has a way of Teaching, Taming and training humans. All of these life's teachings could be termed as Life's Experiences and everyone has had a measure of them. No two individuals have the same sets of life experiences in their entirety since no two people have been known to have been subjected to the same sets of living in all ramifications since our life's experiences are how we live based. I've got some of my life experiences compiled. I hope they give you something to think about as you go through them one after the other. In the cause of life, I've come to learn the following:  My father would always say; Make sure you know all there is to know. If you want something done well, do it yourself. He that rests, rusts. Education without morality is like tea without sugar. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. People generally, hardly mean what they say but women are more so. And he warns; be extremely careful on how you execute women's de

Be Inspired - Story Of An Elephant and a Dog

An elephant and a dog became pregnant at the same time. Three months down the line the dog gave birth to six puppies. Six months later the dog was pregnant again, and nine months on it gave birth to another dozen puppies. The pattern continued. On the eighteenth month, the dog approached the elephant questioning, "Are you sure that you are pregnant? We became pregnant on the same date, I have given birth three times to a dozen puppies and they are now grown to become big dogs, yet you are still pregnant. What's going on?" The elephant replied, "There is something I want you to understand. What I am carrying is not a puppy but an elephant. I only give birth to one in two years. When my baby hits the ground, the earth feels it. When my baby crosses the road, human beings stop and watch in admiration, what I carry draws attention. So what I'm carrying is mighty and great." Don't lose faith when you see others receive answers to their prayers. Don't be e

There Are No Ordinary Words.

60% of all human communication is Nonverbal, meaning body language. 30% comes from the Tone in our voice. This means that what is really coming out of our mouths is just 10%. By   Costly Oma .  Our Words are like Bullets So To Say In a world where everyone has something to say and we are all saying one thing or the other, it is pertinent that we all learn and know or become aware of how to choose our words carefully and the tone in our voice correctly anytime we are engaging in a conversation knowing that for the message to be communicated accurately, there must be sound, and tones make up sounds and sounds come in words in conversation. Here is something I call the right choice of words. When the tone is right, the sound is right and when words are carefully chosen, communication is excellent. Don’t you want to get to that point? For me, I always want to be there. In this article, we will be learning the importance of choosing our words and the tone of our voice correctly when engagin

Choosing The Sex Of Your Baby.

The Shettle's Method By Costly Oma . This post is all about having the knowledge that will enable us to choose the sex of our babies. That is, having the knowledge to choose whether as couples, we want to have a male child or we want to have a female child at any time that we want to add a child to the family.  This method of course is Shettle's method of choosing the sex of our babies. It is called the Shettle's method because the method was named after the person who invented it  Landrum B. Shettles in the 1960s. This Shettle's method was published in the book How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby , coauthored by Shettles and David Rorvik . The book How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby was first published in 1971 and has been in print in various editions ever since. Although this method has been said to not have strong scientific proof, people who have followed the method have testified to have been able to choose the sex of the baby they want to have and they said that