Skip to main content

How Society Is Continuously Killing Good Character

Someone says society can only be the society. As true as that may be, I can’t stop wondering what it implies that it truly meant. Does it mean that society is designed to naturally destroy itself? Or is it that, society is designed in such a way that things can never get better? Honesty, I think that society cannot be designed that way.

City tall buildings of our society

We have people with the Character of a good leader but society will not let them take up political offices. They possess all the character of a good leader but society denies them the grand opportunities.

Some people say the society and the activities of the society keep going in circles. Fashions of years past always have a way of resurfacing and therefore, the deteriorating nature of the society will always get somewhat better and still get bad again. The question now is, don’t we have enough sense as humans to make the world a better place? Are we supposed to be controlled by the systems of the world or we are supposed to control the system that controls the world? Are we really in charge or something else is in charge? We cannot all be clamouring for a better world and this is still what we get. We cannot all be praying and wishing for a better society and we get what we have now. 

Society in general is continually killing Good Character. Society is continuously destroying Good Attitudes. It’s almost as if, if you are not bad, you can’t fit in. The government will preach about the need for citizens to be upright in well-being and when you try to be upright, it is the government still, that will punish you for trying to be a good person. How sad.

Some time ago, I read a story of one Enugu state man from Nigeria who returned a bag of money he saw, he was arrested and jailed. How good can someone be good? A particular young man, heard from his apartment how robbers were raiding his neighbour's house, he called the police from his apartment, the police came and met the operation still ongoing, they apprehended the robbers, took them to the station, and later released them on bail. Before they released them, the police told the robbers who called them to report the robbery, these robbers came to the guy’s house, beat him to a stupor, destroy his property, took his phone, shot him in his leg and on the spine and left him for dead. In that condition, he managed to get one of his neighbours to lend him his phone so he could call the police since he knew their number offhand. He called the police, and one of the police top officers drove down to his house, saw him in the pool of his blood, looked at him and drove off. It was with the help of his neighbour that he is still alive today. He has left the city and relocated because his life is still in danger if those robbers get to know that he didn’t die from what they did to him.

The police, they, say is your friend. I say the police are only your friend when they want to be your friend. they say the primary duty of the police is to protect the life and property of the defenceless. I say the police are not only not defending the lives and properties of the defenceless, they are presently killing them. killing the very people, they swore to protect and rather protect those who are killing the defenceless. how downtrodden can a society get?

I bring to you another touching story that happened at my very before and I can’t help but think how bad our society and government have failed. people went to school to become professionals in what they do so they can do right, but it seems like people went to school to become professionals in what they do so they can do all the wrong things.

Of a truth, I don't know what the court is for any longer. truly, justice is ice, it is served only when those who matter want it served. the court has now become an institution of every other thing but justice. oh, how are the mighty fallen? from where did we take this turn?

Our morals and true values have been slain upon the altar of dominance, greed, selfishness and quest for power. how are the mighty fallen?

We've given ourselves to so much darkness that we no longer see and recognize the light. how are the mighty fallen?

The darkness has so much engulfed us that the light is now irritating us so much that we press to kill and destroy any light we spot. how is society failing?


The Story

On one faithful day, I was scheduled to supervise construction work at a construction site. While I was at the construction site, a young boy who would be in his twenties walked into the premised and walked right to me, appealing for me to just let him walk on the site so he can have something to eat that day. I looked at him and told him, I’m not the site engineer, but he kept pleading. After pleading for some time, I felt something for him and called the site engineer to find him something to do. The site engineer did I said and gave him something to do.

While he was working with the other guys, I overheard them discussing how he just lost his phone weeks ago in a Tricycle and how he has been going through hardship because the people who use to call him for jobs could no longer reach him as at when there is a job and how NIN (National Identification Number) office have claimed to not have service for him to retrieve his line since then. 

As they were talking, he said, “So no one can just put his SIM in a phone for him to call and just go get back the SIM? A SIM they will not even use, I just need my SIM back somehow”. They kept talking and I heard him say “I’ve seen some SIMs on the ground while walking, I didn’t know that the owners of those SIMs possibly went through what he is going through now. From today, I will never see a SIM and walk past. I will make sure I picked the SIM, look for a phone if I don’t have one at the moment and put the SIM inside the phone and if the SIM is working, I will look through the stored phone numbers if I can get any to call that would help him locate the owner, and if there are no phone numbers stored in the SIM, I’ll wait for someone to call so I can locate the owner and give the person his or her SIM back.

When I heard this, I had to quickly buy myself into the conversation for the future error he is about to make. I do see this young man around, from what I know about him, he is upright and good. He doesn’t steal, he doesn’t keep bad company, and he dresses rather gentlemanly. He does legit menial jobs for his sustenance and he seems cool with that. I had to tell him the implications of what he is saying if he tries it.

I narrated all the implications I could think of as regards what he was about to get himself into if he dares do what he says. First, I told him that, even if the owner of the SIM lost his or her phone genuinely and you saw the SIM and picked it up after the person who saw the phone removed the SIM and discarded it. When the owner of the phone contacts his or her number and they get to you, no matter what you tell them of how your intentions were, you are the prime suspect that carried the phone and before you may say jack, it will land you in Police nets.

It is worse if the SIM you saw was a result of a robbery. In most robberies, people get hurt, raped and even killed. If you picked up a SIM that is linked to such crimes, you could go to prison for what you know nothing about. I told him not to try it or not to even think about it but the ultimate choice is always his anyways. They say you cannot force the horse to drink even if you take him to the river.

A few weeks down the line, I heard that this young man is in Police custody for allegedly being in possession of someone’s SIM card. The same thing I advised him against? I exclaimed. I went to the Police station to see him, talked with him and was opportune to see the DPO (District Police Officer) of that station. 

Somehow, the owner of the phone got robbed during a robbery raid that was carried out in one of the biggest markets of the city and after some days of calling the line, this young man picked up the call and was said to have been straightforward from the start as to his intentions of why he puts the SIM in a phone was so the owner of the SIM to locate his or her SIM.

To cut the long story short, this young man was with me on the construction site the day the robbery took place. That day we had to list drop a piece of heavy machinery on site and usually, we do video record such activities so that in the event of an incident or accident, we would watch and learn where we went wrong so we can minimize future mistakes. And this lift drop activity took place almost at the same time the robbery took place. The video record captured this young man assisting in the lift dropping activity. The DPO assured me that something would be done for the case not to escalate beyond a reasonable point.

When I was about to leave the station, I went back to see this young man before I leave. When I went to see him, he looked at me and told me he was sorry for having to drag me to come to see him in a Police station, even though he wasn’t sorry for doing what he did. He said, if he leaves the station and sees another opportunity, he is still going to do it over and over again. That, if we choose not to do good because we will get punished for it, what are we? We are not different from those doing bad things. I didn’t know that the DPO followed me and was right behind me and heard what the young man said. Though the DPO, while working me out of the premises said he was touched hearing the young man say what he said, as when I’m writing this down, the young man is yet to be released. 

On my ride home, I cannot but ponder on what this young man said, “That if we choose not to do good because we will get punished for it, what are we? We are not different from those doing bad things” and then I thought, the sin of "omission" and the sin of "commission" are all one and the same.

Our lives are truly worthless if we close our eyes at an opportunity to do good because society does not encourage it. And I wondered, if every good person continues on this path, in no time, we will mostly or only find good people in Police cells and prisons while the bad ones roam free on the streets of our villages, towns and cities.

I can’t help but imagine how many good people are in Police cells and prisons because of an act of goodwill. Is it not sad to know that humans only do what they don’t want? Everyone wants a better society but we hardly find people in authority consciously doing something to make the society better or genuinely encouraging good actions.

How is society failing? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Woman - Poem

By Costly Oma . 1. Unaware, she seems,  Fragile, yet able. Tender, she appears. Weak, yet strong. 2. Subtle with wit. Accommodating with guard. Loose with focus. Loving with vision. 3. Characterized by beauty. Categorized as an angel. Graced with curves, And strides with style. 4. Builder like a bird. Keeper like a hen. Lover like a dolphin. Carrier like a whale. 5. Protector like an eagle. Giver like a hose. Fighter like animal. Server like a servant. 6. Product like honey. Fierce, yet gentle. Comforts like a home. This is a woman. Related: >>> A Mother Poem . >>> A Father Poem .

NYSC SCHEME - Poem

By Costly Oma .  Written In 2013.  First Published: Feb. 2014. 1.  An idea was birthed,  And into action, it sprung. Since from Nineteen Seventy-Three, Youths have been shuffled. 2. With a call, we moved A call to serve, our best to render, A call to give, our best to offer. A call to keep one Nigeria 3. Under the sun, we matched. In the rain, no difference. When it’s bright and clear, And otherwise, we answer. 4. A call like no other, Beginning with a journey, Then living three weeks in exclusion, Learning new things in new style. 5. A call so anticipated, Becomes so tiring with time, Then feels it should be extended but boring, Yet memories linger. 6. With the hope of National unity, It was birthed.  I hope that its cause has not been tilted, For sacrifices have been made. 7. NYSC SCHEME, We hope that your aim we achieve, For your call we heard, And your rules we kept. #nyscpoem #nyscschemepoem #scheme #nysc #poems #nationalyouthservice #nationalyouthservicecorp ##nationalyouthservic

Time - Poem

TIME Speaking!!! 1. Trust me, I’m in your beginning, In-between. And in your end. 2. I’m a part you can’t do without. An entity of immeasurable worth. A unit of the highest value. A mystery in essence. 3. Your future, I determine Your goals, I monitor Your achievements All, wrapped up in me. 4. I’m terrible. I’m hostile. I’m always against you. But I am a friend. 5. The diligence blesses me. The froward curse me. What are you? I AM TIME. 6. Seek me early and In abundance, you shall find me Seek me late and In the scarcity of me, you shall wallow. 7. Feel you have me, Lost me, you’d just. Feel you lost me, In hast, you must be. 8. Yea, you wish, I know. That I could be friendlier. But this is who and what I am. Just time. Man Speaking!!! 9. Oh, time. A treasure, yet cruel. A blessing, yet a curse. In endless circles you are. 10. Fashioning every man’s destiny. From where did you spring? A limited counting you are, In regular intervals. 11. Regulating man’s every endeavour. Slow it is wh

Father - Poem

By Costly Oma . 1. A Father. A role you are given. A role you didn't ask for, Yet you accepted, And have learned to understand. 2. A Father. Like a purpose, You stay loyal to it's aim. Like a vision, You stay married to it's picture. 3. A Father. Characterized by strength, Categorized by direction. Geared to provide. Wired to protect. 4. A Father. You carry a burden, Burden unknown to your wife, Burden unknown to your children, Burden unknown to your family. 5. The strength of the home. The defense of the family.  You cry sometime, Oh, yes you do, But not in the open.  6. Children misconcepts you, Misconcepts your nature, Nature of care and provision, And ascribes everything to their mothers. Lost are we without a father.  7. I love you dad, I don't misconcept you, Thank you for your seamless, Seamless care and provision.  My Father. #costly #oma #costlyoma #costlyomapoems #costlyomablog #father #fatherpoem #poemaboutfather #poemaboutafather

The Reason

By Costly Oma . 1. Solace, I find in poetry. In poetry, relief, I find. Not without the pain. But the pain, it soothes. 2. In my darkest days, And in my darkest hours, A line of poetry, in my heart, The difference, make. 3. When I find myself lost, In all that I cannot explain, The courage to press, A poetry gives. 4. My first love, I cannot tell. The present, past, and future. I choose the now, For the morrow, I know not. 5. When the bridge is out, And the living, being choked away, But saddled with poetry, To hold and hold I may. 6. From the lines of Ann Taylor's My Mother. To the ancient scripts of Dangerous Beauty, I grief still, But a lift, in poetry I find.  Happy World Poetry Day.

My Death-Feelings So Far – Part 1

By Costly Oma . My Death Encounter Part - 1. ~~My Body Leaving My Body~~ Sometime in the first quarter of the year 2018, around 4 AM in the morning, while I was still in bed, I was woken up by a strong presence of what I can call death. I felt this chilled cold sweep past me, from the soul of my feet to the crown of my head. It was so dramatic as I feel like the cold was swallowing me, starting from the soul of my feet to the crown of my head. As I got completely engulfed by the cold, I woke up. I woke up and got down from the bed but I was still seeing myself lying on the bed. I stood up but it felt like I wasn’t the one standing as I was seeing another me lying in bed. I was obviously at this point confused as to what was happening as I am both standing and lying down at the same time. As I was yet to get my mind organised as to what was happening, I saw a thick dark cloud forming at the westside wall of the room. This thick dark cloud looks so dirty and it smells so bad. As this cl

My Life Experiences And Quotes

By Costly Oma . Life has a way of Teaching, Taming and training humans. All of these life's teachings could be termed as Life's Experiences and everyone has had a measure of them. No two individuals have the same sets of life experiences in their entirety since no two people have been known to have been subjected to the same sets of living in all ramifications since our life's experiences are how we live based. I've got some of my life experiences compiled. I hope they give you something to think about as you go through them one after the other. In the cause of life, I've come to learn the following:  My father would always say; Make sure you know all there is to know. If you want something done well, do it yourself. He that rests, rusts. Education without morality is like tea without sugar. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. People generally, hardly mean what they say but women are more so. And he warns; be extremely careful on how you execute women's de

Be Inspired - Story Of An Elephant and a Dog

An elephant and a dog became pregnant at the same time. Three months down the line the dog gave birth to six puppies. Six months later the dog was pregnant again, and nine months on it gave birth to another dozen puppies. The pattern continued. On the eighteenth month, the dog approached the elephant questioning, "Are you sure that you are pregnant? We became pregnant on the same date, I have given birth three times to a dozen puppies and they are now grown to become big dogs, yet you are still pregnant. What's going on?" The elephant replied, "There is something I want you to understand. What I am carrying is not a puppy but an elephant. I only give birth to one in two years. When my baby hits the ground, the earth feels it. When my baby crosses the road, human beings stop and watch in admiration, what I carry draws attention. So what I'm carrying is mighty and great." Don't lose faith when you see others receive answers to their prayers. Don't be e

There Are No Ordinary Words.

60% of all human communication is Nonverbal, meaning body language. 30% comes from the Tone in our voice. This means that what is really coming out of our mouths is just 10%. By   Costly Oma .  Our Words are like Bullets So To Say In a world where everyone has something to say and we are all saying one thing or the other, it is pertinent that we all learn and know or become aware of how to choose our words carefully and the tone in our voice correctly anytime we are engaging in a conversation knowing that for the message to be communicated accurately, there must be sound, and tones make up sounds and sounds come in words in conversation. Here is something I call the right choice of words. When the tone is right, the sound is right and when words are carefully chosen, communication is excellent. Don’t you want to get to that point? For me, I always want to be there. In this article, we will be learning the importance of choosing our words and the tone of our voice correctly when engagin

Choosing The Sex Of Your Baby.

The Shettle's Method By Costly Oma . This post is all about having the knowledge that will enable us to choose the sex of our babies. That is, having the knowledge to choose whether as couples, we want to have a male child or we want to have a female child at any time that we want to add a child to the family.  This method of course is Shettle's method of choosing the sex of our babies. It is called the Shettle's method because the method was named after the person who invented it  Landrum B. Shettles in the 1960s. This Shettle's method was published in the book How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby , coauthored by Shettles and David Rorvik . The book How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby was first published in 1971 and has been in print in various editions ever since. Although this method has been said to not have strong scientific proof, people who have followed the method have testified to have been able to choose the sex of the baby they want to have and they said that